Japan 2010 47 Prefectures Series Program - Aichi 1 oz Silver Proof Coin
Nagoya Prefecture was renamed to Aichi Prefecture in April 1872, and was united with Nukata Prefecture on November 27 of the same year. The Aichi prefecture coin’s full color obverse features a golden dolphin-like sea creature (shachihoko) as depicted on a statue at the Nagoya Castle. Originally built in 1610-14 by Tokugawa Ieyasu, the five-story building was destroyed during World War II but was reconstructed in 1959, including replics of its famous pair of golden shachihoko statues. Rabbit-ear Iris plants are also shown; these dark bluish-purple flowers flourish in Kozutuminishiike Pond in Kariya City of the Aichi Prefecture.